Location: Remote, Canada
Type: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $75k – $90k plus 0.1% – 1.0% stock options
Starting: Monday, July 12th, 2021 (flexible)
Benji is an early-stage fintech startup. We started our journey two years ago with a web app that helped Canadian freelancers find $9,387.53 in annual tax savings on average. Now, we’re launching Canada’s first neobank for small businesses.
We believe Canadians deserve a better business bank. At Benji, we’re building a financial platform designed to help small businesses prosper by combining their banking, bookkeeping, and card management — all in one place.
We’ve built a trusted brand that yields the impression that we’re a big company. However, the team currently consists of the two co-founders: Jordon leading software development and Mohammed driving everything else.
Feel confident knowing you’ll be in good company. We’re grateful to have raised capital from some incredible angel investors including Mike Katchen (Wealthsimple), Jeanne Lam (Wattpad), and Kevin Kliman (Humi) to name a few.
Our goal is to become Canada’s most loved small business bank. Come join us.
Business banking in Canada sucks. It's more likely that Rihanna will drop an album before Canadian entrepreneurs get access to a seamless digital banking experience — unless we do something about it. It’s obvious Big Banks don’t care about small businesses or they would have done something about it already.
At Benji, we believe a delightful user experience can accelerate product adoption and build brand affinity. This is where you’ll come in. You’ll be responsible for solving complex problems at the intersection of design, technology and business. Design is at the heart of Benji — Mohammed (CEO) was the UX Lead at Tulip.
Key problems you’ll help us solve:
- Develop a deep understanding of our best-fit customers and their business problems by regularly engaging in user interviews.
- Develop and refine product strategy and vision (not just ‘how it looks’ but ‘why it should be built’) by collaborating with the founders.
- Establish the building blocks of our product and design language while working within an iterative design process.
- Incorporate data in decision-making by understanding how your work is performing with a literacy of the measures being applied to it.
- Work with the founders to create a workplace that team members are proud to be a part of and where diverse teams can thrive.
We’re building something meaningful with the ability to have an impact on millions of small business owners in Canada.
We want Benji to be a place where you are surrounded and supported by some amazing people who are light on ego, high on curiosity, and flat out want to make a difference.
Key points for your consideration:
- Create fintech history in Canada
- Build a team from the ground up
- Shape the impact you want to see
- Have a say in the direction of the company
- Help entrepreneurs build a resilient business
Being an early-stage startup, the product is constantly evolving with each new insight. Your ability to execute will set the pace for product development as your Figma files will be the source of truth.
You’re a problem solver. You have experience designing software products for a brand that made real, human connections with its customers and created market differentiation with its personality.
What we’re looking for:
- Collaborative and egoless. We list it first because we really mean it — you’ll be part of a kind and generous team that will be committed to your success, and expect the same in return.
- Seasoned generalist. You have experience taking products from idea to launch. You can lead user research just as well as you can design crisp UI.
- Holistic thinker. You think in systems and can anticipate the impacts of any one solution upon the entire platform and the overall user experience.
- Design practitioner. You have a solid grasp of how to apply concepts of space, layout, visual hierarchy and affordance to digital user interfaces.
- Thoughtful communicator. You can clearly express complex concepts and confidently share the ‘why’ behind your design decisions to get buy-in.
- Observant and mischievous. You understand that tiny details like microinteractions and empty states can have an enormous impact on how we engage with a product.
- Long-term dedication. You want to grow with us for many years with your role and tasks expanding and changing as the company evolves.
If you are *this* close to what we’ve described but aren’t sure, apply. Let’s figure out together if this is where you could shine. Seriously.
- You understand (and get fired up by) the difference between working at a traditional bank and Benji: we’re here to help and champion small businesses and, because of that, we cannot be a normal banking brand with normal banking apps.
- You’re a natural problem solver with a portfolio of beautiful products used by thousands of people (e.g. web apps, iOS apps, browser plug-ins).
- You enjoy documenting your work and would want to share the behind-the-scenes progress of our product on our blog or social channels.
This role may not be suitable for you if
- You know everything and aren’t one to ask for help.
- You are a perfectionist who can’t meet deadlines.
- You don’t like fast-changing startup environments.
What we’ll provide
- Health and dental benefits. We care about the people we work with and put their health first. Benji is proud to offer inclusive health and dental coverage.
- Flexible working hours. We don't clock in and out at set times. You know when you do your best work. We celebrate accomplishments, not how many hours are spent at the office.
- Paid time off. We hire talented people and know that they need time off to be at their best. Take time off to recharge and make sure you’re working sustainably.
- Personal development. We have a vested interest in your growth. You’ll have regular one-on-ones to discuss your current work but also your personal goals and development.
- An adventure. We know there’s a lot we don’t know, but we’re excited about the opportunity to create an impact in the lives of millions of Canadian entrepreneurs. We hope you’re up for an adventure!
Please mention Drake in your application and be sure to submit it by Sunday, June 20th. We’ll start contacting applicants on Thursday, June 10th and expect to contact the last person by Thursday, June 24th.
Step 1: Video call with Mohammed Asaduallah, CEO
Step 2: Video call with Mohammed and Jordon McKoy, Co-founder
Step 3: Reference Check
Step 4: Offer
Step 5: Make an impact 🚀
Our commitment to equity, inclusion and diversity
You might see this section in a job post and wonder if this is something that’s HR-driven or coming from the founders. In our case, this is coming from the founders. Not only are we the ones creating the job descriptions, but Mohammed is also the Founder of Women and Color — a federal non-profit that creates opportunities to advance and amplify women, people of colour and LGBTQA+ professionals in tech.
We’re two founders of colour, albeit both of us are cishet men, who genuinely want to create a workplace where diverse teams can thrive. We want you to love where you work and we strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, Black people, people of colour, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
Know someone who would be a perfect fit? Please let them know!
$75,000.00 - $90,000.00